Hello trombone world. It has been quite some time since I last posted on this blog so I thought I would get the ball rolling again.
This will be a tough 2-part question, but I’ll ask it nonetheless:
What is your FAVORITE jazz trombone solo?
One of my students asked me this yesterday and I had a tough time narrowing it down to just one. And by “tough time,” I mean I couldn’t do it. I could come up with six:
1) Frank Rosolino on “Please Don’t Bug Me” from his LP Turn Me Loose
2) Alan Ferber on “Exoskeleton Part IV” from The Distance by Michael Formanek’s Ensemble Kolossus
3) Steve Davis on “Blue Bossa” from The Continents by Chick Corea
4) Slide Hampton on “My Blues” from A Day In Copenhagen
5) Carl Fontana on “Strike Up the Band” from Cream of the Crop – The Great American Trombone Company
6) Conrad Herwig on “Jazz Folk Song” from Sleepless Nights by Walt Weiskopf
I look forward to the responses.